Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sense of Duty

Do something everyday that you dont want to do ; this is the Golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain !!!
- Mark Twain

The white board in my cube at work, consists of few noise waveforms and the quotation given above on the right hand side. When I read this quotation it rings a familiar bell in my ear. When I was a kid, my mother used to explain me the sense of entitlement she felt towards performing her duties.

The concept of duty exists only in mythologies starting from Mahabhartha all the way to Samurai movies(Akira Kurosawa). I find "Duty" is a good antidote for procastination and fear. In the era of instant gratification where everything has to be served in under 5 minutes and where pleasure search has become our ultimate goal ....the word duty gives me solace. We all have to pay our dues to everyone around us and as long as we keep our integrity through our daily grind to do our best we all can sleep comfortably.

No comments: