Saturday, January 03, 2009

S. A. D

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), also known as winter depression or winter blues, is a mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year experience depressive symptoms in the winter or, less frequently, in the summer, repeatedly, year after year.They may sleep too much, have little energy, and crave sweets and starchy foods. They may also feel depressed. Though symptoms can be severe, they usually clear up

I get gloomy whenever the winter approaches.Rainy season also makes my days dull.I used to always wonder how Indian actress's get happy and dance in the rain...
It was always the opposite for me.I could never get out of bed,if the weather is cloudy,with never ending greyness.I dislike the hill stations in India..and always had a fantasy to go to Rajasthan for a vacation.
Even though my depression is not life threatening,it is still a pain living at a place which has rains all year round.(5 months snow also included)
How I wish I had Icelandic ancestry!!!
Wikipedia mentions that people in Iceland are immune to SAD.It seems a certain fish which they consume also makes them winter-friendly.Being a vegetarian the fish solution goes outside the window..

Personally I try to cheat my moods by using lot of lamps,which simulate the summer season.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy also works fine.Knowing more about the problems we are going to face and having solutions before hand, makes things easier with regard to SAD.
Keeping busy is one of the easiest ways to conquer SAD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read somewhere where u mentioned about Iceland being one of the world's problem less places...

Recent news is that now Iceland is filled with financial, economical and climate problems. Its sinking.

Just wanted to point to the contradiction of what it WAS. But not to undermine the positive thought that u wanted to share.

-A