Saturday, February 03, 2007

The day I was truly happy...

Can you just smile and be happy ...try to be happy ...the words echoed through my head..two hours of meditation and 1 hour of intense yoga...the speaker gave us our daily homework....
Smile and be happy for a whole day.If you cannot be happy at this moment and where you are ,you can relocate where ever you want and do everything you always wanted ..but still ,your happiness will be drifting away.Happiness lies in this moment.Enjoy it ...before it passes away...
I try to smile ..I try to be happy ...I could manage it for a couple of hours and then I got irritated ..I felt as if the world was conspiring against my failing moods...
A week passes by...My eyes wander through the victorian buildings,I see sweet shops and fish everywhere,I see huge buildings and slums all over the place.I pass through narrow lanes and reach Bonogram.I see the moonlight shine through the darker waters.

I try to make sense of the complimentary existence of poverty and spirutuality.
As the day dawns, I see couple of 6 year olds trying to enter my room.The puzzled faces are amusing to look at ..I smile...

I see a small baby running by ..the only 1 year old in the premises...she turns and starts telling me the only bangla word she knows..I offer her a biscut she smiles ..I smile...

I see a flood of small kids running towards me ...they start kissing and hugging me ..I smile and I laugh...

The kids go to school...The sun shines at me...I visit the play ground where the younger kids were playing ...they start speaking bangla and I am confused ...I tell them I know only Hindi ..They laugh...I smile..

I try to eat lunch with all the kids ..they start discussing about me with everyone ...They smile ...and I smile..

In the evening few of the kids organize a performance for me...They sing Rabindra -sangeet and dance for the popular Bangla songs...I clap ...I smile...

As night dawns I play with kids and we have dinner...We share our joys...I smile...

As I bid goodbye to the City Of Joy ..It gives me the biggest gift ...It taught me to be happy ...

The organisation I had visited in Kolkata was Parivaar.(www.parivaar.org)
The kids taught me one of the most important lesson in life .These kids are rejected by society.At parivaar they are given a new home and a new life. The kids in Parivaar stand as a testimonial...for the human soul which has overcome so many obstacles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Miss Preethi,

The blog is too god. It conveys a very nice and positive message.
Your blogs so mature and they influence a person to look at life in a positive way n they do initiate a spark in one's brain to have a greater outlook on life. Hats off maam..Looking forward to read more of your blogs...

An Admirer

astrocrazy2005 said...

An Admirer,
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Truly beautiful experience. Remember those lovely kids today and smile again :-) I am smiling.

Friendly regards..